Bright and easy Mothering Sunday cards

Happy Mothering Sunday, Granny and Grandma!

I know it’s a bit late, but I couldn’t publish this until I knew our mums had seen their cards because they actually read the blog! This was just a quick idea that I came up with quite last minute as we’d had a busy weekend last week and I suddenly realised we needed to post something by midweek so they would get there. After the success of our footprint angel cards at Christmas, I thought I’d use Andrew’s hand prints this time. Except we didn’t have the energy to get the paint out, because since Christmas he’s become even more wriggly and strong, so keeping him from putting paint soaked hands into mouth would be more of a task than I wanted on a weekday morning. Instead I chose to draw around his hands, which remarkably he let me do without too much persuasion – I think he was interested in the soft feel of the foamy paper I used.

One left hand outline and one right hand outline were achieved, and formed the outline of a flower head. I then cut a stem, some leaves and a middle bit (which I guess represents the stigma/style/stamens according to Wikipedia) out of some different textured papers. This flower was then stuck onto a card made from two strips of thick brown card, held together with bright pink ribbon.

Two thick strips of brown card, A4 in length, folded in half
Pink ribbon holding the two strips together at the bottom, fixed with double-sided tape
Flower pieces assembled on card, fixed with DS tape

We hope they brightened our mums’ days, their second Mothering Sunday as Granny and Grandma!

Incidentally, I like using the term ‘Mothering Sunday’ instead of ‘Mothers’ Day’. It dates back earlier than the modern name for the day, to when people traditionally visited their ‘mother’ church on that Sunday. This was a local big church or a cathedral, and a special service was held for this, the 4th Sunday in Lent (that’s why Mothering Sunday moves around each year, in line with Easter). My reason for liking ‘Mothering Sunday’ is because it reminds me that being a mum is a job, it involves constant actions and ‘doings’, which can be described together as ‘mothering’. This gets lost in the term ‘Mothers’ Day’. I only appreciated this since being a mum myself, and now I appreciate my own mum’s (and Grandmas’ and mum-in-law’s) mothering even more.

Baby-proofing hat and mittens

Just a quick post to share a quick craft project that I did the other day when Andrew lost a woolly hat! He has some lovely knitted head- and other-body-wear from Tom’s family, but he also likes pulling them off, even when it’s cold. Unfortunately the hat he was wearing at the start of a walk into town was nowhere to be found at the end of the walk. On the same walk, he also lost a mitten, but we found that one near home on the way back. This incident prompted me to do something I’ve been meaning to do for a while – sew on some ribbon to his hat and mittens to keep them on. For the hat, this meant two shorter bits of ribbon, one on each side, to tie in a bow underneath his chin to keep it on. For the mittens, this meant a longer length of ribbon, each end sewn on to a mitten, so that it could go through the arms of his coat and stop the mittens getting lost even if they fall off his hands.

Matthius the bear modelling the hat and mits before baby-proofing began

The hat and mittens are modelled here by my glamourous assistant, Matthius the teddy bear, who, unlike Andrew, stays still enough for me to take a good photo! They were given to Andrew by my cousin, which incidentally makes her Andrew’s first cousin once removed – something I had to look up when figuring out family relations when Andrew was born. I love the little ears that make Andrew look so cute in the hat, and the little paw prints on the palms of the mittens 🙂

Ribbon ready for baby-proofing

I measured out the ribbons on Andrew, allowing quite a bit of extra length, partly because you need it for getting the mits on and off, but mainly for growing room.

Close up of the stitching on the hat

To make sure the ribbons were strong enough to withstand tugging from baby hands, I folded the ends of the ribbon over so that they were double thickness, and stitch round the three edges touching the inside of the hat/mittens with blanket stitch. I then added a square of back stitch about 2mm in from the edge of the blanket stitching.

Close up of the stitching on the mits

I think the square of back stitching looks clearer on the photo of the mittens than on the photo of the hat. This should mean that they are really secure and won’t be easily lost!

Matthius modelling the hat and mits after baby-proofing was finished

Matthius was kind enough to model again once I’d done the sewing. We tried out the adapted hat and mittens when we went to the park between Christmas and New Year. As you can see in the picture below, we didn’t lose them, especially the mittens, which dangled from his coat as he gripped the elephant see-saw thing and happily rocked to and fro. Smiles all round – Andrew stayed warm, and I was glad my baby-proofing worked!

Andrew wearing his hat, and mittens safely dangling!