Home » Cheesy red & green mini muffins

Cheesy red & green mini muffins

In general, Joel seems to be loving food, there’s not much he hasn’t eaten when we’ve given it to him. I’m sure he’ll get fussier as he gets older, but hopefully he’ll be similar to Andrew and like most things despite the odd fuss here and there. One thing in particular that both boys like is extra mature cheddar cheese – Joel would eat loads of this if I let him (I’m watching the salt), and Andrew would polish off the rest! And a couple of things that Andrew is less good at (unless they are cooked in something) and I hadn’t tried Joel with are spinach and tomatoes.

Mini muffins cheesy

So I decided to make some savoury mini muffins packed with cheese, spinach and tomatoes. Having been searching for a while for a cheap silicone mini muffin mould, I eventually found one last week at a homeware store that opened a while ago near our local supermarket but I’d never heard of the brand and assumed it was an expensive one (we live in Cambridge, this is the norm). But as I walked past it the other day, I took a closer look and realised it was in fact a Wilkinsons-style shop – ever since we moved here 7 years ago I’ve missed having a Wilkos to get bits and bobs from.

This recipe would also work in a fairy cake tin (mine have seen better days, hence my search for a new silicone mould) or a normal-sized muffin tin. I just like the mini-ness of them for little fingers to grasp. And these muffins were very much devoured by the little mouths on the receiving end of the little fingers’ grip.

This recipe made 24 mini muffins, some of which we ate fresh and some of which we froze for later to keep them fresh.

Ingredients

• 250g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 100g extra mature cheddar cheese (or you could use any strength you like)
  • 100g fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
  • about a dozen cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters
  • 180ml milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 50ml olive oil
  • black pepper

Method

1. Put the flour, baking powder, cheese, spinach and tomatoes in a bowl and mix until roughly distributed.
  2. Mix the milk, eggs and oil in a bowl until the egg is broken up – don’t over beat, you don’t want to end up with mayonnaise!
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones along with a good grind of black pepper and stir until well combined.
  4. Spoon the mixture into the mini muffin mould so each hole is full.
  5. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 180ΒΊC (fan).
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool only as much as you need to in order to eat them!
  7. Freeze any that are not eaten within a day or so to keep them fresh.
Link up your recipe of the week

14 Responses to “Cheesy red & green mini muffins”

1. Jen says:

These sound delicious Ruth, I’ll have to try them! My boys love spinach,especially chopped up and stirred into pasta with pesto and, like yours, love a bit of mature cheddar, but they aren’t as good with tomatoes so this might help!

• Ruth says:

Thanks. Yes I noticed your pasta with spinach and pesto in the Voice quick n easy meal ideas – good idea. I think tomatoes are something lots of kids struggle with, but cooking them and putting them in things seems to help Andrew at least!

2. Rav says:

these sound lovely Ruth… think i will make these for Jai one day this week… he’s definitely a fussy eater at the moment. Will keep an eye out for more fun recipes on your blog πŸ™‚ x

• Ruth says:

Hi Rav! Ah the fussy eater stage, they all go through it (though I think Andrew hasn’t yet or he’s only had small bits of fussiness here and there) I’ve done a few recently, like blueberry pancakes (look a bit further down on the blog home page and there should be some more) x

3. Jen says:

Made these with a friend’s daughter this afternoon – they have met with universal approval!

• Ruth says:

Excellent! I’m always glad to hear that my recipes have worked for others too πŸ™‚ I need to make some more – they went down so well here too.

4. Jaime Oliver says:

I love the ides of a savoury muffin πŸ™‚

5. Mandy says:

These look great and sound just up my street! I made something similar a while ago with broccoli, which I thought was delicious, although the kids were less keen. I think they expect a muffin to be sweet…

6. These look delicious. N to sure mine would go for the “visible veg” but given that I would have to adapt it hugely for them (dairy, soya, gluten free) I reckon I would be better indulging myself and making them as they are!

• Ruth says:

I understand the visible veg thing – my 3 yr old is going through a fussy phase now, a while since I first published this post, and I’m not sure he would be so enthusiastic now! Thanks for popping by πŸ™‚

7. They look great. Pretty certain my two would enjoy cooking them and eating them πŸ™‚ Thanks for linking up with #recipeoftheweek πŸ™‚ I’ve pinned and tweeted this post and there’s a fresh linky live now. Hope you join in x

8. Tina Holmes says:

Never tried a savoury muffin, these look amazing. Recipe of the Week