A couple of weeks ago I saw a recipe for chilli with chocolate by Chrissie aka Slow Cooker Queen as part of the Slow Cooker Sunday linky. I’ve been meaning to make a chilli with chocolate for a while. We have chilli quite often, and there’s always chocolate in the fridge, so I don’t know why I haven’t done it before now – maybe because on the surface it seems like an odd combination so I don’t automatically think about reaching for a bar of chocolate when making chilli. As we currently have even more chocolate to get through than before Easter, I thought this would be a good time to use some in cooking as well as eating on its own.
This recipe is quite different from Chrissie’s, mainly because I made it veggie, and used my usual ingredients for a veggie chilli. I don’t eat any red meat, I just don’t like it; I will eat chicken and turkey if cooked for me, but in the last year or so I haven’t cooked any meat myself. We eat fish or pulses instead.
Despite the perhaps odd combination, it actually works really well. The chocolate flavour is subtle but there, and adds something to my usual simple chilli recipe. It’s a great way to get toddlers to eat vegetables too. I’d definitely recommend giving it a go…..
Ingredients – serves 6 (3 of us ate it and half went in our freezer for another day)
- 1 onion
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin borlotti beans
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- 1 carton chopped tomatoes (approx. 400g)
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 50g chocolate
- 250ml hot stock (I use low salt)
- Chop the onion into small pieces, and chop the chocolate into small chunks.
- Drain all the tins of vegetables.
- Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours.
- Put some rice on to boil 10 minutes before it’s ready.
- Serve the chilli and rice together, with a dollop of soured cream if you like the spice toned down a bit.
Follow me on social media